Automating product descriptions: when is it the right choice for your business?
Imagine, you own an online business that sells many different products. In order to sufficiently inform the customer, you’ll need to provide every single product with its own product description. For this task, you hire someone to do it for you and this costs you a lot of valuable time and money. Couldn’t this task possibly be done in a cheaper and less time-consuming way? This blog will provide you with answers, followed by some situations that could illustrate whether or not automating the process of writing product descriptions could be interesting for your organization.
3 reasons why you need qualitative and unique product descriptions
- Providing customers with sufficient information
Product descriptions are extremely relevant for a couple of reasons. First of all, when customers want to buy from your store, they will need to be sufficiently informed about the product, its characteristics, pros and cons, etc. By providing them with such info, you allow them to make a reasonable, well-informed choice about which product they want to buy.
- Enhancing the customer experience
When a product description is sufficiently informative, you provide the customer with convenience. This may enhance their customer experience, which in turn could lead to a higher conversion rate.
- Better findability in search engines
Last but not least, it is extremely important that your product descriptions are unique. Search engines are able to recognize duplicate information on websites; their response is a lower search ranking. So, in order to receive a higher ranking in e.g., Google, it is crucial to write unique product texts. Obviously, a higher ranking could in turn lead to a higher conversion rate since more customers will be visiting your website.
Why and when should I automate the process of writing product descriptions?
Writing unique, qualitative, and compelling product descriptions is an extremely time-consuming task, especially when your store sells a load of different products. In some cases, it would be useful and profitable to automate the process of writing product descriptions. To determine whether or not automation could be useful for your organization, we have come up with some business situations. If your organization relates to those situations, it may be profitable to automate the process of writing product texts.
- Firstly, it is relevant how many product texts you have or want to have. This depends on the number of products that you sell in your store. If your product range includes more than 1000 products, automation may be the cheapest and most efficient option.
- Are you a retailer and do you write for only one website, or a wholesaler that also has to supply product texts to their retailers? For the latter, it is even more crucial to write unique product descriptions, otherwise you are competing with yourself for a higher search engine ranking. Wholesalers often have an extremely wide range of products, which could make it profitable to automate the process of writing product descriptions.
- Another aspect to determine whether or not automation would be useful for your organization is that you need to have sufficient product data. This means that you need enough product features available to be able to automate generation of product texts. Where you get your product data from, depends on whether or not you use a product information management (PIM) system. Then it is also relevant whether product specifications are present in your PIM system, or only the basic features. Moreover, you may need example sentences and photos from competitors.
If your company identifies with the abovementioned criteria, you may be able to automate the generation of product descriptions. Automating this process will not only save you lots of valuable time, but also many unnecessary costs. Moreover, your conversion rate can significantly increase due to the improved customer experience. Customers will receive all the information they need to decide whether or not to buy a product.
Different methods for writing product texts
The first method to automatically generate your product descriptions is by using Excel. Excel, however, is not the most suitable tool to generate texts. You are able to input product data, but the outputted product descriptions are not sufficiently varying or unique. Excel is a spreadsheet software that is not built to generate product descriptions. The software therefore is not user-friendly to execute this task.
- Manually writing
Another way of writing product texts is to manually write them. This is not the most durable method: it requires a lot of manhours to write a qualitative and unique product text. When the product you wrote the text for is sold out or out of assortment, the text becomes superfluous. In this case, the time you spent on writing this text is wasted.
- Using tools
Probably the most efficient way to generate product descriptions is to use tools. If you conclude that automating this process could be profitable for your organization, you may be interested in using such text generation tools. Powertext.ai is such a smart tool: it uses algorithms to generate unique and qualitative product descriptions. Product features and other available information are extracted from PIM systems in order to write these texts. Especially for companies with a wide product range, using tools like Powertext.ai could be profitable. It allows you to write unique and qualitative product texts in an automated manner, which will significantly decrease the costs and time that is usually spent on this activity.